venerdì 5 ottobre 2018

Film 1517 - Lady Bird

Intro: I was so into this movie without even had a clue about it, but I loved the fact that this is an all-women project and the movie got ravishing reviews. Not to mention all the nominations that it got from the latest award season...
Film 1517: "Lady Bird" (2017), Greta Gerwig
Watched: my laptop
Language: English
Watched with: Fre
Briefly: I really have to say that I wasn't impressed by "Lady Bird". Greta Gerwig directorial debut can be fun sometimes and it is surely solid when it comes to the plot, but in the end I didn't enjoy it that much. Probably my expectations were too high for a movie that got so far with reviews and awards. And most of the time it's hard to match what you would like to see with what you're actually seeing;
I am definitely in love with Saoirse Ronan, she really can act! I think she deserves her Golden Globe as Best Actress even though an Oscar win would have been difficult to imagine, mostly because of the other performances nominated this year. Anyway I prefer her in "Brooklyn", where she is simply divine. A round of applause also to Laurie Metcalf, absolutely perfect in this role;
I find a little bit difficult to see where does Gerwig Best Director nomination comes from. Nolan in "Dunkirk" is amazing and was about time that Guillermo del Toro's talent got recognised, but "Lady Bird" directorial effort is not any different from other coming-of-age comedy-drama movies we see almost everyday;
I think this is a decent film that works mostly because of its great cast and a story that sounds really true even though it's fiction. It's easy to relate with Lady Bird McPherson, a senior student at a Catholic high school in Sacramento, that struggles to find herself in a world that she doesn't see as her own. She needs to find her way through school, parents expectations, friends, dreams and all that stuff teenagers must experience while they try to figure it out what they'd like to be in adult life. Apart from that, "Lady Bird" isn't that amazing, even though it has its moments.
Cast: Saoirse Ronan, Laurie Metcalf, Tracy Letts, Lucas Hedges, Timothée Chalamet, Beanie Feldstein, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Lois Smith.
Box Office: $78.5 million
Worth watching?: I was expecting something else or, probably, I was just expecting too much. Anyway I find "Lady Bird" a very normal film that deserve a chance, even though it's not that great as the critics want you to believe.
Awards: Nominated for 5 Oscars (Best Motion Picture of the Year, Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role, Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role, Best Achievement in Directing, Best Original Screenplay), 4 Golden Globes (winning Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy and Best Actress) and 3 BAFTAs (Best Original Screenplay, Best Supporting Actress, Best Leading Actress).
Key word: College.

Did you like it? Buy it HERE!

Trailer
#HollywoodCiak
Bengi

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento