Intro: Still pretty much obsessed. One last time.
Film 2483: "Obsession" (2025), Curry Barker
Watched: On the projector
Language: English
Watched with: Steven
Thoughts: For a moment there, it felt like I was only going to the movies to watch "Obsession" and, yeah, it was kinda like that.
On my third watch, I have to admit that I still enjoyed this movie quite a lot. It didn't matter that I knew all the scary bits and where the story would go; this film felt fresh every time I watched it, which is an accomplishment in itself.
Pair that with an astonishing box office performance ($475 million worldwide on a budget of $750,000), Curry Barker's filmmaking career skyrocketing, and Inde Navarrette's and Michael Johnston's performances putting them on Hollywood's radar... You can't deny that "Obsession" is the movie surprise of the year.
Obviously I'm a huge horror film fan, so this movie was clearly my cup of tea to begin with, but the success behind this piece of media doesn't just rely on horror fans. The script is genius precisely because it isn't overly complicated compared to other similar outings in the genre: there's an enchanted object, a wish that leads to a curse, and protagonists who have to deal with the consequences. It's that simple, yet so effective. And the nuances this story presents are quite interesting and disturbing, possibly more so than the horror element itself: Nikki (Navarrette) is stripped of her agency and forced into a romantic relationship whether she likes it or not. Bear (Johnston) is shy and timid at the beginning, only to reveal his true colors as the story progresses and the abuse escalates. And he's not willing to stop. If anything, he's resentful that Nikki still won't love him back. It's tragic and terrifying at the same time.
So yeah, I do love this film. I think it's a great example of the heights the horror genre can reach when it's done right and, right now, "Obsession" is still my favourite movie of 2026.
Film 2472 - Obsession
Film 2478 - Obsession
Film 2483 - Obsession
Cast: Michael Johnston, Inde Navarrette, Cooper Tomlinson, Megan Lawless, Andy Richter.
Box Office: $475 million
Worth a watch?: There is already Oscar buzz for this one, particularly for the Best Actress and Screenplay categories. Will these predictions come to fruition? It's way too early to say, but as the current movie landscape stands, there's clearly a chance (especially after last year's Best Supporting Actress Oscar win for "Weapons"). In the meantime, if for whatever crazy reason you still haven't seen "Obsession", do yourself a favour and go see it. I rest my case.
Awards: /
Key word: Cat.
Trailer
#HollywoodCiak
Bengi
Watched: On the projector
Language: English
Watched with: Steven
Thoughts: For a moment there, it felt like I was only going to the movies to watch "Obsession" and, yeah, it was kinda like that.
On my third watch, I have to admit that I still enjoyed this movie quite a lot. It didn't matter that I knew all the scary bits and where the story would go; this film felt fresh every time I watched it, which is an accomplishment in itself.
Pair that with an astonishing box office performance ($475 million worldwide on a budget of $750,000), Curry Barker's filmmaking career skyrocketing, and Inde Navarrette's and Michael Johnston's performances putting them on Hollywood's radar... You can't deny that "Obsession" is the movie surprise of the year.
Obviously I'm a huge horror film fan, so this movie was clearly my cup of tea to begin with, but the success behind this piece of media doesn't just rely on horror fans. The script is genius precisely because it isn't overly complicated compared to other similar outings in the genre: there's an enchanted object, a wish that leads to a curse, and protagonists who have to deal with the consequences. It's that simple, yet so effective. And the nuances this story presents are quite interesting and disturbing, possibly more so than the horror element itself: Nikki (Navarrette) is stripped of her agency and forced into a romantic relationship whether she likes it or not. Bear (Johnston) is shy and timid at the beginning, only to reveal his true colors as the story progresses and the abuse escalates. And he's not willing to stop. If anything, he's resentful that Nikki still won't love him back. It's tragic and terrifying at the same time.
So yeah, I do love this film. I think it's a great example of the heights the horror genre can reach when it's done right and, right now, "Obsession" is still my favourite movie of 2026.
Film 2472 - Obsession
Film 2478 - Obsession
Film 2483 - Obsession
Cast: Michael Johnston, Inde Navarrette, Cooper Tomlinson, Megan Lawless, Andy Richter.
Box Office: $475 million
Worth a watch?: There is already Oscar buzz for this one, particularly for the Best Actress and Screenplay categories. Will these predictions come to fruition? It's way too early to say, but as the current movie landscape stands, there's clearly a chance (especially after last year's Best Supporting Actress Oscar win for "Weapons"). In the meantime, if for whatever crazy reason you still haven't seen "Obsession", do yourself a favour and go see it. I rest my case.
Awards: /
Key word: Cat.
Trailer
#HollywoodCiak
Bengi

Nessun commento:
Posta un commento