Intro: I wasn't planning to watch this one, to be fair, but the reviews were better than I expected, and I got intrigued...
Film 2488: "Masters of the Universe" (2026), Travis Knight
Watched: At the movies
Language: English
Watched with: No one
Thoughts: I didn't know much about He-Man. I can vaguely recall watching the cartoon as a child, but if this movie hadn't come out, I probably wouldn't even have remembered the character. Which, in theory, could be a good thing, as "Masters of the Universe" could be the perfect re-introduction to this world. But I'm not 100% sure this film taught me much.
It's been a month since I saw it in theaters, and I have to admit I don't remember much about the story or the characters. It all blended into a mixture of vague memories from this film and possibly other similar ones. I'm thinking of pretty much any superhero origin story from the last decade or so. What I do remember, though, is thinking while watching it that, yeah, "Masters of the Universe" isn't bad, but it also isn't that great either. It's a fun ride for what it is, but compared to other movies that suffered a similar fate*, such as "Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves", this one doesn't really have anything that sets it apart. Or maybe it's just me? I'm not sure. I haven't watched many superhero films lately, as I'm currently a bit done with the genre, so it's entirely possible that I checked out a bit while watching.
Other things I remember thinking at the movies:
Watched: At the movies
Language: English
Watched with: No one
Thoughts: I didn't know much about He-Man. I can vaguely recall watching the cartoon as a child, but if this movie hadn't come out, I probably wouldn't even have remembered the character. Which, in theory, could be a good thing, as "Masters of the Universe" could be the perfect re-introduction to this world. But I'm not 100% sure this film taught me much.
It's been a month since I saw it in theaters, and I have to admit I don't remember much about the story or the characters. It all blended into a mixture of vague memories from this film and possibly other similar ones. I'm thinking of pretty much any superhero origin story from the last decade or so. What I do remember, though, is thinking while watching it that, yeah, "Masters of the Universe" isn't bad, but it also isn't that great either. It's a fun ride for what it is, but compared to other movies that suffered a similar fate*, such as "Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves", this one doesn't really have anything that sets it apart. Or maybe it's just me? I'm not sure. I haven't watched many superhero films lately, as I'm currently a bit done with the genre, so it's entirely possible that I checked out a bit while watching.
Other things I remember thinking at the movies:
- I'm not sure Nicholas Galitzine works in this role for me. I only know him from "Bottoms", "Red, White & Royal Blue", and "The Sheep Detectives", and he's clearly talented. Yet I couldn't stop thinking that he's the gay guy from the Amazon Prime gay movie. That's all I could think about.
- Camila Mendes' makeup department choices were... questionable. The colored contact lenses look fake, and her hair color is clearly not her real one. I'm not sure if that was a wig, but it definitely took me out of the movie every time she was on screen.
- The villain. I know that Hollywood keeps thinking that Jared Leto** is this gifted actor who's able to bring in crowds of fans, but a) that was never really the case (go watch "House of Gucci" if you think otherwise), and b) I really don't see the point of casting him here, considering his character, Skeletor, is fully CGI and even the voice is modified. It literally could have been anybody else playing Skeletor, and you wouldn't be able to tell.
- I do believe "Masters of the Universe" came out at the wrong time and is too similar to previous Marvel movies, especially the later "Thor" films. They share a similar Viking-from-another-world vibe, as well as the same tone and humor, which people have been complaining about for a while now.
- Lastly, I don't think the marketing pushed this IP enough or made it interesting enough for people to care. I don't even remember seeing the trailer before going to see the actual movie.
* Actually good movies that didn't perform well at the box office, or at least not well enough to justify a sequel or a further expansion of the franchise.
**Jared Leto is currently in deep shit after being accused of sexual misconduct and criminal sexual conduct by four different women. This is the last time I'm acknowledging him on this blog, as from now on I'm only going to list him in the cast section of any film I'm reviewing (that is, if I'm going to see a movie with him in it anymore).
Cast: Nicholas Galitzine, Camila Mendes, Alison Brie, James Purefoy, Morena Baccarin, Jóhannes Haukur Jóhannesson, Kristen Wiig, Jared Leto, Idris Elba.
Box Office: $114 million
Worth a watch?: A catastrophic flop at the box office - it cost $170 million just to produce - "Masters of the Universe" is good enough for an evening in front of the TV, when your only desire is to turn your brain off and possibly indulge in a little bit of nostalgia.
Awards: /
Key word: "I have the power!".
Trailer
#HollywoodCiak
Bengi
Cast: Nicholas Galitzine, Camila Mendes, Alison Brie, James Purefoy, Morena Baccarin, Jóhannes Haukur Jóhannesson, Kristen Wiig, Jared Leto, Idris Elba.
Box Office: $114 million
Worth a watch?: A catastrophic flop at the box office - it cost $170 million just to produce - "Masters of the Universe" is good enough for an evening in front of the TV, when your only desire is to turn your brain off and possibly indulge in a little bit of nostalgia.
Awards: /
Key word: "I have the power!".
Trailer
#HollywoodCiak
Bengi

#HollywoodCiak 2488 #MastersoftheUniverse #NicholasGalitzine #CamilaMendes #AlisonBrie #JamesPurefoy #MorenaBaccarin #JohannesHaukurJohannesson #KristenWiig #IdrisElba #HeMan #Mattel #80s #Eternia #flop #nostalgia #Skeletor #Grayskull #sword #BattleCat #cat #followme
RispondiElimina