Intro: A few weeks ago, during the Summer heatwave, I started watching older movies on the projector by myself in the living room. What a treat!
Film 2504: "Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle" (2017), directed by Jake Kasdan
Watched: From the projector
Language: English
Watched with: No one
Thoughts: I always loved the original "Jumanji" movie and I've seen it so many times. For a second there I was tempted to watch it again, but seeing as the new "Jumanji: Open World" is coming out on Christmas Day this year, I decided to revisit the two newer movies, especially because I couldn't name one thing that happened in the second one.
I have to admit I quite enjoy "Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle". I think it's a smart reboot of this franchise, in a way that pays homage to the original film while including brand new elements that launch the saga in a whole new direction. In this sense, I think moving the game setting to a video game was the correct idea.
Additionally, I like the four main characters. They're easily identifiable as they come with specific, inescapable traits, which makes it easy to identify them and simultaneously sets them apart. Pair that with their human counterparts and how different they are from their game avatars and... you get the perfect mix.
I mean, don't get me wrong, it's all quite simple and on the nose, yet I think the simplicity of these opposite archetypes is key to the success of the story here: no subtlety that needs to be interpreted by the audience, no complex plot points, no overly complicated story arcs. You watch the movie and you get it straight away, and if you happen to know the original one, watching "Welcome to the Jungle" is even more rewarding.
And look, I've never been a big Dwayne Johnson fan, but here he makes fun of himself enough to be passable. Not to mention that, by making fun of his "Smoldering Intensity", the story utilises his acting shortcomings to its advantage.
So all in all, I had a good old time.
Film 784 - Jumanji
Film 1472 - Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Film 1785 - Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Film 2504 - Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Film 2505 - Jumanji: The Next Level
Cast: Dwayne Johnson, Jack Black, Kevin Hart, Karen Gillan, Nick Jonas, Bobby Cannavale, Rhys Darby, Alex Wolff, Ser'Darius Blain, Madison Iseman, Morgan Turner, Colin Hanks, Marc Evan Jackson, Missi Pyle.
Box Office: $963 million
Worth a watch?: The original "Jumanji" is an undeniable cult classic that holds a special place in my heart. I was a bit scared when they announced the sequel back in the day, especially because Dwayne Johnson isn't necessarily known for being a good actor with extensive range. Here, though, I think he finds a middle ground that works for him: macho action movie star combined with some quirky, funny comedic moments that uplift his performance.
So, if you're in the mood for a little adventure and you like the OG "Jumanji", I'd say you should like this one enough. Of all the reboots and sequels we've seen recently, this is definitely one of the better ones.
Awards: /
Key word: Console.
Trailer
#HollywoodCiak
Bengi
Watched: From the projector
Language: English
Watched with: No one
Thoughts: I always loved the original "Jumanji" movie and I've seen it so many times. For a second there I was tempted to watch it again, but seeing as the new "Jumanji: Open World" is coming out on Christmas Day this year, I decided to revisit the two newer movies, especially because I couldn't name one thing that happened in the second one.
I have to admit I quite enjoy "Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle". I think it's a smart reboot of this franchise, in a way that pays homage to the original film while including brand new elements that launch the saga in a whole new direction. In this sense, I think moving the game setting to a video game was the correct idea.
Additionally, I like the four main characters. They're easily identifiable as they come with specific, inescapable traits, which makes it easy to identify them and simultaneously sets them apart. Pair that with their human counterparts and how different they are from their game avatars and... you get the perfect mix.
I mean, don't get me wrong, it's all quite simple and on the nose, yet I think the simplicity of these opposite archetypes is key to the success of the story here: no subtlety that needs to be interpreted by the audience, no complex plot points, no overly complicated story arcs. You watch the movie and you get it straight away, and if you happen to know the original one, watching "Welcome to the Jungle" is even more rewarding.
And look, I've never been a big Dwayne Johnson fan, but here he makes fun of himself enough to be passable. Not to mention that, by making fun of his "Smoldering Intensity", the story utilises his acting shortcomings to its advantage.
So all in all, I had a good old time.
Film 784 - Jumanji
Film 1472 - Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Film 1785 - Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Film 2504 - Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Film 2505 - Jumanji: The Next Level
Cast: Dwayne Johnson, Jack Black, Kevin Hart, Karen Gillan, Nick Jonas, Bobby Cannavale, Rhys Darby, Alex Wolff, Ser'Darius Blain, Madison Iseman, Morgan Turner, Colin Hanks, Marc Evan Jackson, Missi Pyle.
Box Office: $963 million
Worth a watch?: The original "Jumanji" is an undeniable cult classic that holds a special place in my heart. I was a bit scared when they announced the sequel back in the day, especially because Dwayne Johnson isn't necessarily known for being a good actor with extensive range. Here, though, I think he finds a middle ground that works for him: macho action movie star combined with some quirky, funny comedic moments that uplift his performance.
So, if you're in the mood for a little adventure and you like the OG "Jumanji", I'd say you should like this one enough. Of all the reboots and sequels we've seen recently, this is definitely one of the better ones.
Awards: /
Key word: Console.
Trailer
#HollywoodCiak
Bengi

Nessun commento:
Posta un commento