mercoledì 7 ottobre 2026

Film 2505 - Jumanji: The Next Level

Intro: Another Summer evening, another movie on the couch.

Film 2505
: "Jumanji: The Next Level" (2019), directed by Jake Kasdan
Watched: From the projector
Language: English
Watched with: No one
Thoughts: I watched this movie back when I was living in Ushuaia, Argentina, but I never got around to reviewing it because... Well, I was so far behind with the list of movies I had to write about on the blog that I skipped some of them to jump ahead in the queue and review newer entries. Then I never got back to the older ones. I'm talking about a backlog of possibly more than 50 movies -- including this one -- and I'm not sure I'll ever go back and finish what I left behind.
So, in a way, watching "Jumanji: The Next Level" for the second time a) helped me remember what actually happens in the story and b) finally allowed me to review it. Here we go.
Did I watch "The Next Level" a second time to actually realise it's a bad movie? Yes, because it felt like I was watching it for the first time, if I'm being honest. And... it'st nothat good.
Firstly, there are way too many characters. The story is complex enough with the human characters and their respective avatars; I really didn't need to add the grandpa and his frenemy to the mix, especially when they also get transported into the game and one of them gets transformed into a horse... Like, on paper it sounds fun, but the reality is that the joke gets old quite quickly.
Additionally, I didn't like the character swaps. I understand why it was necessary to switch things up compared to "Welcome to the Jungle", and I believe some degree of change actually benefited the story here. What didn't work for me, though, is how the avatar swap becomes some sort of character study for Dwayne Johnson and co. It's funny and entertaining at first -- I mean, Johnson playing Danny DeVito and Hart playing Danny Glover is unexpectedly funny -- but after a while of old-man jokes and complaints about back pain, it all becomes stale and quite uninspired.
On top of all of this, I don't think this adventure is as fun as the previous one. Again, too many characters to follow, too many story arcs to complete, and it all becomes messy and convoluted for no reason. I believe if DeVito's and Glover's characters were cut out, the whole story would have benefited from it.
So yeah, I was disappointed by "The Next Level" because, to be honest, there's nothing really next level about it.
Film 784 - Jumanji
Film 1472 - Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Film 1785 - Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Film 2504 - Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Film 2505 - Jumanji: The Next Level
Cast: Dwayne Johnson, Jack Black, Kevin Hart, Karen Gillan, Nick Jonas, Awkwafina, Alex Wolff, Morgan Turner, Ser'Darius Blain, Madison Iseman, Danny Glover, Danny DeVito, Rhys Darby, Colin Hanks, Bebe Neuwirth.
Box Office: $801 million
Worth a watch?: If you liked the first one, you may give this one a go. I think it's the weakest one of the whole franchise (yes, I'm including "Zathura: A Space Adventure"), so I would personally advise you to skip it. But considering the third one is coming out in December, you decide if you want to go through with "The Next Level". I mean, it's not the worst thing I've ever seen, but I was quite disappointed.
Awards: /
Key word: Dr. Bravestone.

Trailer
#HollywoodCiak
Bengi

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento